The following ALL comes from BibleStudyTools.com.
I hope it will be a blessing to you.
Compiled and Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff on 12/5/2018
Oils in the Bible – What does the Bible say about Essential Oils and Anointing Oils? There are numerous references throughout scripture regarding anointing oils to be used for ceremonial purposes. These anointing oils often resemble the modern essential oils that are familiar today. For example, Exodus 30:23-25 describes the “holy anointing oil” as such:
“Take the finest spices: of liquid myrrh 500 shekels, and of sweet-smelling cinnamon half as much, that is, 250, and 250 of aromatic cane, and 500 of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hint of olive oil. And you shall make of these a sacred anointing oil blended as by the perfumer; it shall be a holy anointing oil.”
Though essential oils have become a somewhat modern phenomenon, it seems the tradition of using naturally derived aromatic oils have a long history in Christianity. Having been used in religious sacraments for millenniums, perhaps the health benefits of these anointing oils were known long before their contemporary popularity! Discover the best Bible verses about oils in the collection of scripture below!
- 1 Samuel 10:1 Chapter Parallel Compare1 Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the LORD anointed you ruler over his inheritance?
- Exodus 25:6 Chapter Parallel Compare6 olive oil for the light; spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense;
- Exodus 29:7 Chapter Parallel Compare7 Take the anointing oil and anoint him by pouring it on his head.
- Exodus 31:11 Chapter Parallel Compare11 and the anointing oil and fragrant incense for the Holy Place. They are to make them just as I commanded you.”
- Exodus 35:8 Chapter Parallel Compare8 olive oil for the light; spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense;
- Exodus 35:28 Chapter Parallel Compare28 They also brought spices and olive oil for the light and for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense.
- Ezekiel 16:13 Chapter Parallel Compare13 So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was honey, olive oil and the finest flour. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen.
- Job 29:6 Chapter Parallel Compare6 when my path was drenched with cream and the rock poured out for me streams of olive oil.
- Leviticus 8:12 Chapter Parallel Compare12 He poured some of the anointing oil on Aaron’s head and anointed him to consecrate him.
- Luke 7:46 Chapter Parallel Compare46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet.
- Mark 6:13 Chapter Parallel Compare13 They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.
- Proverbs 7:17 Chapter Parallel Compare17 I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
- Proverbs 21:20 Chapter Parallel Compare20 The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.
- Psalm 23:5 Chapter Parallel Compare5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
- Psalm 45:7 Chapter Parallel Compare7 You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.
- James 5:14-15 Chapter Parallel Compare14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.
- Exodus 30:23-25 Chapter Parallel Compare23 “Take the following fine spices: 500 shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much (that is, 250 shekels) of fragrant cinnamon, 250 shekels of fragrant calamus, 24 500 shekels of cassia—all according to the sanctuary shekel—and a hin of olive oil. 25 Make these into a sacred anointing oil, a fragrant blend, the work of a perfumer. It will be the sacred anointing oil.
- 2 Kings 4:1-7 Chapter Parallel Compare1 The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the LORD. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves.” 2 Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?” “Your servant has nothing there at all,” she said, “except a small jar of olive oil.” 3 Elisha said, “Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few. 4 Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side.” 5 She left him and shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring. 6 When all the jars were full, she said to her son, “Bring me another one.” But he replied, “There is not a jar left.” Then the oil stopped flowing. 7 She went and told the man of God, and he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and your sons can live on what is left.”
Taken from BibleStudyTools.com